We welcome submissions to the Florida Writers Association blog. Besides appearing on our site, blog posts are emailed to 1,800+ subscribers. Please read and follow our requirements carefully before you submit.
- You must be a member of the Florida Writers Association in good standing or one of our conference faculty in order to be published.
- Posts about the craft of writing, book design or marketing, publishing, the business of writing, Florida Writers Association events and programs, and other topics of general interest to the writing community are welcome.
- We do not publish book reviews unless the book is about a topic of general interest to the writing community.
- We do not publish fiction, poetry, or other creative writing except by special invitation.
- Your blog post cannot pitch a book, website, business, conference or product. In other words, we do not publish promotional posts.
- Your post must be final and ready to go. Accepted submissions have been copyedited, fact-checked, and formatted before submission.
- We assume that you own all material you submit and that it’s original.
- Your post will be accompanied by your short bio. Please include it with your first blog submission. Your headshot will also appear, but only if you have set up a “Gravatar.” You may also submit links to your social media accounts. (Scroll down for an example of how the author’s bio and photo will appear on our blog.)
- Please send your submission, including a short bio as an attached Word doc along with your headshot to Mary Ann de Stefano, webmaster.
Tips for Effective Blog Posts
- Your title and first paragraph should be brief and to the point to engage the reader quickly.
- The best posts go deeply into a narrow issue, rather than stay on the surface of a broad topic.
- Posts need only be around 400-600 words, but a well-written, well-formatted post can be longer.
- Break up the body text with short paragraphs, sub-heads, bullet points, etc. White space is good. Walls of unbroken text are a turn off. People tend to scan websites quickly for information.